VMware Data Center Intern: Desktop and Server Lab Support in Sofia, Bulgaria
The Data Center group at VMware supports the company’s lab operations, including DC infrastructures and various R&D test beds (hosts, storage and networking hardware, all while using VMware virtualization software). As part of this you will proactively participate in the day-to-day tasks as well as ongoing projects affecting Sofia office and the EMEA region.
You will have the chance to work in one of the largest data centers in Sofia and work with team of senior IT operation support engineers.
• Supporting a team which is providing operational support to systems and services for our engineering environments, including: servers, storage, network; virtualization and OS support.
• Take part in activities to support the lab and data center infrastructure, including power and data cabling, labeling, inventory management etc.
• Helping the team in running an efficient data centers and labs, following the global best practices and internal guides and regulations.
• Assist the team to resolve any local or remote (global) customer technical issues and requests through diligent research, reproduction and troubleshooting.
• IT Desktop hardware support ( laptops, workstations, monitors,printers, telecoms gear, video devices, audio conference devices, etc).
• Assist the team with operating systems deployments, upgrades, service pack installations, troubleshooting, security updates and any system change activities.
• Collecting, re-purposing and decommissioning hardware and assets.
• Create and update documentation (Intranet FAQs, User guides, Standard Operating Procedures, Knowledgebase) for IT supported services and applications.
• Perform under pressure and able to drive multiple tasks in parallel.
• Desire to work in operations team where there is not a small or big issue or task.
• Excellent customer relationship skills.
• Basic troubleshooting and configuration skills and experience.
• Capable of preparing detailed documents, such as how-to technical guides and instructions.
• Basic understanding of IT enterprise hardware systems and their components, including servers and storage.
• Understanding of data cabling concepts and some practical experience.
• General networking knowledge layer 2 (switching)and infrastructure fundamentals (TCP/IP,VLAN,DNS,DHCP,LDAP,NIS)
• Drive results.
• Very good communication skills in English.
Highly Preferred Skills & Qualifications:
• Engineering background or currently enrolled in engineering major at university.
• Hands on experience with hardware systems and data cabling infrastructure.
• Hands on experience with Windows OS and the Microsoft suite of products.
• Understanding basic concepts of racking & stacking of systems in server labs.
• Have an understanding of other IT disciplines, (i.e., Telecom, Datacom, Messaging, Server operations, etc.)
• ITIL foundation or CCNA certification is a plus
Reasons to join VMware:
Opportunity for technical and personal development through working on real-life projects.
Mentorship by experienced engineers, participation in regular technical talks, timely performance feedbacks and being in touch with worldwide IT professionals will help you develop your potential.
Unique atmosphere with an emphasis on excellence, innovation, openness, collaboration and balance
Opportunity to choose between working schemes, fitting both your and the project's needs
VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at VMware are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. VMware will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law.